Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tri-banded Sebarau at Giam

the tri-banded sebarau aka hampala macrolepidota

when u catch a fish, u need to pose

behind me, the infamous Giam waterfalls

my trusty berkley blade dancer securely lodged on the sebarau's lip

On 18 October 2008, Noel, me and Vivienne went for a photography trip to the infamous, Giam waterfalls. The place is located less than 20 miles from Kuching.

Since basically, we have 2 cameras only, so I brought along my light casting tackle to entertain myself. Well, I surely am glad I brought along my fishing tackle because I managed to lure a tri-banded sebarau aka hampala macrolepidota using my trusted mini berkley blade dancer.

Basically, I was doing sight fishing as the water was crystal clear. I had climbed to the upper part of the waterfalls. As soon as I reached that place, I saw 2 large sebaraus cruising the shallows. They oso saw me and swam further. I cast my lure to their direction but as soon as the lure hit the water, the swam even further. Many cast later, I decided to shift my focus. Instead of continuously casting to the open water, I decided to cast towards a shady area where the water was fast flowing. My first cast to that location, a silvery figure came out from the shade and whacked my lure, but it did not stick. Missed. Many cast to the same spot yielded nothing. Then Noel reached my location and started to take pictures. He even went into the stream where the silvery figure appeared. So, my guess was, the fish there was as good as gone and I went back downstream to take some photos with Vivienne.

About half and hour later, I decided to climb to the upper reaches again. I said to myself... a few cast at the same place, and if there is nothing, then I would go. True enough... my third cast another silvery figure came and whacked my lure again. It missed, swam back... but decided to make a U-turn. That was when the barb of the BBD attached itself to the Hampala's tough lip, and it was FISH ON!!! A few moments later, a healthy sebarau was landed. I couldn't contain my joy that I shouted so loudly that Noel and Vivienne turned to face me in the midst of the roar of the waterfalls.

Charles, if you are reading this, what say you... CNY sebarau fishing? As long as you can drive... I will bring you there.

No comments: