Monday, July 30, 2007

Sarawak State Library Fishing Competition (Sunday, 29 July 2007)


It had been raining for the past week and the forecast for the weekend was cloudy. When the actual morning came, it was drizzling. 6.30am, I gave John a morning call. The conversation went a bit like this...

Me: John!!!
John: Guess wat? I just woke up!!! I set the alarm at 5.30am but I didn't hear it.
Me: Knn... Ok! I wait for you.

15 minutes later, John arrived. After I bundled my fishing tackle into his car, we were on our way. This was when Chen called...

Chen: Where are you guys?
Me: On the way... around Wood House area.
Chen: Am waiting at KY Cafe.
Me: Ok! Please order kolomee for me and John.
Chen: Wat you want?
Me: John, wat you want?
John: I want either kuitiaw or beehoon.
Me: Pls order kolomee for me and either kuitiaw or beehon for John.
Chen: Ok! Ok!

We met up at KY, broke our fast and then drove to the library taking the only toll road in kuching. When we reached there... there we already scores of people lining sporadically around the lake. John went to register while I "booked" our fishing spot. There were splashes near our parking spot, so I hurried to rig my setup. I had with me a 10ft pole and a spinning set. Managed to take ONE picture of the location before it started to rain... and rained it did for the duration of the competition, which was 4 hours.

We had with us, live shrimp, bread, chicken feed and "fish cookies" as bait... and soon we were catching fish... but they were small. Nope... they were not small, they were TINY!!! 3 - 4 inches LOHAN aka FlowerHorn. The odd catches by us, throughout the event was a common barb, a tinfoil barb and a 50g udang galah. Haha.

Overall, I had fun... for a day out in the sun... rain with friends, and that is the important thing (for me anyways)

Did not stay behind for the prize giving ceremony, but we heard that the biggest catch for the competition was an almost 2kg toman!!!

Apologies for lack of pictures as it was raining and my camera was not waterproof.

No comments: