Monday, July 28, 2008

Sematan Fishing (26th July 2008)

On 26 July 2008, I fishing at Sematan. John had extended an invitation, asking me if I wanted to join him, and I said yes. He would have gone by himself if I could not make it, but I decided to go mainly because I haven't been fishing in a while and my blog seriously need some fishing entries being that it is a fishing blog.

Anyway, our journey started later than usual. We departed for Sematan around 5pm. We reached Sematan around 6.15pm. We boarded the boat by 6.45pm, but could not leave until it was 7pm because of the low tide. Almost 1 hour journey and we reached our first fishing spot. It was there that I caught 3 small angcho aka snapper aka tanda in succession. I thought to myself, this would be a good trip. I was at the back of the boat the whole time, so when I didn't hear to much commotion coming from the front, I looked to the front and saw John lying on the deck. There were some uneven waves which malay calls alun hitting the boat. I did feel a bit dizzy, but I kept myself busy by re-baiting my hooks. Then the anchor of the boat became loose and by the time Hashim moved back to the fishing spot, there were no more bites registered.

By that time, the waves aka alun was getting stronger by 10pm, I was floored too. Thus, left Hashim and the anchor man fishing. I woke up from time to time due to lightning and thunder. Around midnite, Hashim decided to head for a river nearby. My guess was a storm was closing in. When we arrived at the river, there were some 6-7 boats already parked. Then a few more boats joined us. Then it started to rain and we all tried to sleep.

It was 2.30am when one of the boat started its engine to go out once again. Hashim followed suit but when we got out to open sea, the waves were still there. Me and John continue to sleep, whereas Hashim and the anchorman fished. Try as Hashim may, there were little to show the next morning, save for a 3 small kerapu aka grouper, 2 small snappers and 2 small nurse shark and John had zero catch.

It was my worst trip ever from Sematan. However, I accept the fact that fishing has been unpredictable lately, especially in Sematan. I have one more Sematan trip coming up end of August. Hopefully, it will be a much better trip.

No pictures were taken during this trip as none of us took our camera. Besides, there was nothing much to take pictures off anyway.

No comments: