Monday, September 3, 2007

fishing at The Land Of Kiong

The 1kg Haruan

The 2kg fat sultan

Posing with John's grass carp

What a fat fella! Estimated to be around 6kg

Sunday, 2nd September. Early morning. This time I partnered John to The Land Of Kiong. It was "pre-planned" 2 weeks ago... ever since John was defeated by the giant grass carp. This time around, John came prepared with a 14 foot telescopic rod with a Surecatch reel spooled with 15lb mono specifically to haul up the tough and "dirty" fighting fish.

We stopped by Batu Kawa old time for a hardy, meat balls and noodles (THE REAL BREAKFAST FOR CHAMPIONS), before we headed for the fishing spot.

Owner of the pond was still asleep when we got there. We went ahead to fish, expecting him to join but when he woke up, he went for breakfast instead. By that time, I had started casting. I try to look around for haruan rises but seems that the haruans were still asleep. I spotted a clearing about 15m right ahead of my. I had a feeling that a haruan or two would be around that area, so I started casting at the spot. Sure enough, after a few cast, something took my BBD. The pull was strong, but the drag on my Shimano Slade 2500 was stronger. My Ryobi 2 piece rod though, bent double to absorb the shock. When the fish surfaced, it was a big haruan. It fought all the way to the bank, before John helped me scoop it up. The haruan was estimated to be 1kg. It had some scratches over its body. I can't imagine what other fish would dare attack a 1kg haruan... save for tomans... (which I am told, that pond has 4)

After that, I didn't see any more action. John on the other hand, was just starting to get busy. His 14ft rod that was baited with bread and thrown to the middle of the pond bent double!!! He was like 20m away, and you should have seen him sprinting and hurdling over the pineapple crops in between. The fish was still at the end of the line when he got a hold of the rod. However, the fish had gone to the weeds. The fight was long!!! John had to practically haul up 50kg of weeds + 2kg of fish. It was a delicate task. Soon, the whole bundle of weeds came next to the bank and it was time to clear the weeds before netting the culprit!!! A 2kg sultan aka jelawat.

We had to wait about an hour before the next strike, again on John 14ft rod. This time it was one of the grass carps which took the bait near to the bank. Again, John was far from his rod and he sprint to action again. This time, the fish didn't fight dirty. Nonetheless, it put up quite a fight. Only when the fish was tired did I managed to scoop it up. The grass carp was really well fed. It had a very round tummy. I estimated the weight to be close to 6kg. Well, John had his revenge.

All in all, it was a good trip. All the pictures for this entry were from John's camera. For more pictures, pls visit my buddy's blog at... http://jahuong.objective-solutions.com/index.php?set_albumName=september-pond-fishing-2007&option=com_gallery&Itemid=&include=view_album.php

3 comments:

Francis Ho said...

Wow!
Congratulations.

I can almost imagine the taste of 'em teochew steamed ... ;)

mangrooveDan said...

francis...

thanx. but the fish were all caught and released.

:)

John Huong said...

Errr the grass carp didn't get to fight dirty cos I didn't give him chance hehehe